I hope you had a Joyous Christmas and that you got to experience it with children. Now, as we decide how to lose the extra pounds we gained over the last two weeks and look forward to the coming new year, itís a good time to reflect on the good times we had together this year as members of SGFF. I want to thank each and every one of you for youíre your contributions to and participation in club activities. The friends we fish with are very special friends.
Mark your calendars:
- Tues., January 2nd - Club meeting , 6:30 at the Chamber of Commerce Building. Our speaker will be Kevin Stubbs who guides on the Guadalupe. In addition to inside info about the Guad, Kevin will introduce us to fishing opportunities in Montana and on the Devilís River in West Texas. In preparation for the Guadalupe trip, Clint Barton will tie a Zebra Nymph before the meeting and, in response to a request from Gary Rogers, Iíll attempt to tie a woven body without letting go of the yarn.
- Fri. Jan 5th - Trout tourney at Sun City. Bring your rod and join the Sun City Hunting and Fishing Club to fish for trout in their lake on Del Webb Blvd
- Mon. and Wed. Jan. 8th & 10th - Lake Georgetown fish habitat project.
- Sat. Jan. 13th - Shonto Ranch outing. The cost is $60 for Ĺ day and we need to send in a $30 deposit next Wednesday, so bring your checkbook or cash to the meeting if you want to sign up. Space is limited
- Sat. Jan. 27th - Outing to the Guadalupe. We will put in at Rio Raft and at other access points. If you would like to fish with a guide, check with Kevin Stubbs at the meeting. If he is not available, he may be able to Suggest someone else. If you plan to get a Trout Unlimited lease pass, now is the time to do it.
- Every Wed. - lunch at Romeoís, 11:30
You should have already received an e-mail from Kent Conner about the Lake Georgetown project. Let him know if you plan to attend, they need a count for lunch. He can be reached at 512.863.2709 or send him an e-mail.
Also, Mike Ives sent an e-mail on 12/20 regarding the trout tournament. There will be more information about the tournament and the outings to Shonto Ranch and the Guadalupe at the meeting Tuesday.
The Christmas party was a great success. We had some nice donations on the silent auction tables and they generated $844 and the Sage Rod and Reel raffle netted another $135. Cody Fisher, master magician, provided amazing slight of hand entertainment during the cocktail hour and Mr. Puppet, Bob Abdou, kept the crowd laughing after dinner. Randy and Linda Johnson helped Bob to get us in the Christmas spirit (see photos).
I was the lucky winner of the rod and reel and, having searched my tackle closet for room to squeeze them in, Iíve decided to donate them back to the club to be raffled again at the March meeting. Details and tickets will be available at the January meeting.
Don Johnson has volunteered to take over the web site for Brent Mozingo whoís new job demands too much of his time. Thanks, Brent for getting the web site up and running and thanks to Don for stepping up to take it over. Brent and Don are working on the transition and Don will be expecting all of us to forward fishing reports, pictures, and other information to him for publication on the site. Please do your part.
Have a safe and happy new year. Iíll see you on the water, Brooks